Monday, October 4, 2010

Blog entry one: A moment in history

This is my first blog post ever. I am a newbie in the blogging world. Well, I read and have read other people's blog posts before and have wanted to start one of my own for ages but somehow I have never gotten around to doing it. I have blamed it on several reasons:
  1. I don't know what to blog about. We have heard time and time again that there is nothing new on this earth and honestly I'm not sure I have anything new to offer you dear reader (who at this point is probably a friend I forced to check my blog out).
  2. I need better and constant Internet access.
  3. Who will read my blog? I, like all humans and also according to Abraham Maslow, need to know that I am needed. OK, that's not really what I mean. Let me put this way. I need to be relevant, I need people to identify with what I blog about, and I need people to find me interesting. I wonder if this is too much to ask.
  4. I am inconsistent. I never follow stuff up. I need reminders, accountability partners, and maybe even a life coach (I'm not sure what exactly these people do but I think they can help me to remember stuff I need to and do it) to poke me into doing things that I'm supposed to do.
  5. I have constant Writer's Block. Jack London, an American short story writer once said that "You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." I say use a knife, a hand grenade, nuclear weapons, and other more violent means. But then, if inspiration was a person or thing, wouldn't you end up destroying him, her or it? Maybe Jack London hadn't thought this whole 'club approach' through. Anyway, I digress, the point was that I have many, many blank moments in my life, both physically (I'm not sure this is the right word to use here) when I lack or run out of things to say to people and in situations where I'm required to speak; and writtingly (forgive my use of little known words drawn from the Edopedia :) when I'm required to write and I have nothing to write about or lack words to appropriately express what I'd like to write about.
I guess I have just had a 'Eureka moment' and decided that excuses and reasons not to do something you want to do will always be there but that I shouldn't let this hinder me from doing what I want. All of a sudden, the reasons I had for not starting a blog kind of fizzled away. Well, most of them anyway.
I'm still not sure what this blog will be about but I'll keep writing what comes to mind that I'd like to share. Also, after doing a little research while looking for a name, I have realized that I cannot use the name 'Kenyan girl next door' which would have been perfect. So perfect. Turns out there's another Kenyan girl next door. I hope I find a cool name. I'm still not over the 'Kenyan girl next door' issue.
I now have constant (not really better) Internet access from xxx (I do not offer free advertising).
I will make some of my friends read this blog and link it to my Twitter and Facebook accounts to tell more people about it. I should be content to have even five constant readers. I think this should take care of issue number three.
I will note down everything that comes to mind that I'd like to blog about, so I don't forget when it comes to doing the actual writing and also to help generate more self content (because that's what most of this will be) which should mostly help with the Writer's Block.
 I don't know how often I should be blogging. Weekly? I guess. I will make goals, get an accountability buddy or a life coach or both to help me with inconsistency.
That's about it for my first blog post. I'm thinking maybe I should mark today's date for when I'm blogger extraordinaire.

10 comments:

  1. What!! awesome. where has this Kenyan girl next door been all this time. Pretty good. read word for word and love it. keep blogging, weekly for a start will be ok I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Glam.I'll keep blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. so i really like.....i wasnt a fun of your compositions in primary school but Mr Ochieng thought you were extraordinaire, he mattered at the time....lol!i'm officially a fun n critic too..hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha Liz ati you weren't a fan of my compositions and the way i used to get 34/40:)Mr.Ochieng' used to dig them :) anyway thanks girl :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice one, seems like a great start to a newbie, i will be popping in every once in a while and since I am one of the very outstanding friends you have, my life should be an inspiration to you..hehehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ed, only you would write this...lol...I think even if I didn't know it was you I would've known it was you!
    It's Shiro and I'm officially a follower!

    ReplyDelete